Monday, April 23, 2007

Job Situation

For those that don't know, I do not have a job lined up for after graduation. However, there might be some new and exciting developments on Friday...more on that later. First, a history of my job search.

My intended future destination as a lawyer has changed since I first started. After two summers of running at a large, corporate, state-wide firm in downtown, I was a quasi-runner/clerk for a good friend of the family ("JHL"). He employed me during the summer before my senior year of college. This translated into clerking with JHL during my 1st and 2nd year summers (though 1st year was mostly Cambridge-filled).

Then one fine afternoon in late July/August last year, JHL asked me to meet with him regarding my future. Fully expecting a job offer there, I was surprised, but equally excited when he suggested applying for a judicial clerkship. Applications were sent and I had a few leads, but no offers from the judiciary. JHL then suggested looking at other firms, all the while being very ambiguous regarding my status with his firm. Though he was quick to put in a good word for me at other firms, none of JHL's recommendations panned out. Finally, I called an old friend and neighbor ("DWL") who happened to be an attorney in Knoxville. His firm needed someone to work during the spring, so I did, and have been doing that since about mid-January.

I have enjoyed my time with DWL and his associates and I would be happy, I think, as an associate there. From the beginning, I was frank with him and made it known that I was seeking a full-time position after graduation. Although I sometimes feel like clerks don't get much recognition (see "Something I've Learned" ), I have tried hard and turned out a satisfactory product. I have even received several compliments from attorneys. Over the past few weeks, as graduation has loomed, I have been tempted to follow-up with DWL regarding my status with the firm. DWL is a very busy man, so I have never felt right bothering him with it. However, today I did.

This afternoon, while sitting in my office, an associate of the firm asked me to prepare a memo. She asked me if I had time to work on it or if she should wait and give it to one of the new guys. Inquiring about "the new guys," she stated the firm was going to hire 2 summer clerks ( I don't think it is a bad sign for me since: (1) the clerks almost have to be 1Ls or 2Ls and (2) I will likely not be working a lot this summer because of the Bar Exam).

Anyway, I took that information as a sign that I needed to inquire about my own employment status. So, I asked DWL, and we are going to meet on Friday about it.

More about this on Friday!

No comments: