Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Job Situation #2

Well today I finally met with DWL concerning my job status at his firm. It went as expected, though not as I had hoped. I'll explain...

As I had guessed, everyone at the firm has been pleased with my work. I have gotten many compliments when I turn stuff in. Unfortunately quality of work doesn't always equal a job. I am interested in litigation, which the firm doesn't do a whole lot of. Apparently the firm recently had 3 big cases settle. A settlement is good for the clients but bad for the attorneys who need work (like me!)

Anyway, the firm has hired 2 summer clerks who are rising 3L's. Both are splitting the summer. DWL and I agreed that I would be "on-call" for any overflow clerk work that needed to be done. This will enable me to concentrate primarily on my Bar preparation. Then, in the fall, DWL and I will re-evaluate the firm's needs and see how they fit in with mine. I told him I'd be willing to continue as a clerk for a while...likely until I get my Bar results and, hopefully, become a licensed attorney.

So, as I said, it went as expected, but not as I hoped.

No comments: